<$BlogMetaData$>
Etcetera Whatever

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

the beautiful drunkard

no, i am not talking about myself. instead, i am listening yet again to the newest album by over the rhine, drunkard's prayer. now i was one of the lucky few (or that's how i like to think of it) who ordered my copy directly from paste music. thus, not only did i receive my disc a few days before the official release date, but i also had linford's and karen's drunken scribbles on my liner notes. furthermore, i also got some cool postcards from l & k, which i ought to post at some point. but enough about me. this album is wonderful (as usual from these two). according to l & k (and you can believe them), these songs tell of redemption--"the story of two people finding their way back home after almost losing everything, each other included." paste still has signed copies available. so, either buy it there or support your local music dealer. but not having a copy is really not an option.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve McCoy said...

Man, I wish I got it through Paste. I got my copy a few days ago. Just what I hoped for. Really excellent. Do you like their previous one, Ohio? I thought that was great too. Stylistically similar.

Steve
www.stevekmccoy.com

4:33 PM  
Blogger Richard A. Bailey said...

Every single album they have done is amazing, Steve. My favorite is probably the independent release of "Good Dog Bad Dog." All their albums, plus Linford's three releases of him on the piano, are providing the soundtrack to my dissertation.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Steve McCoy said...

Really? Awww. All I know are the latest two. I'm guessing you've purchased them online. Where is a good indy music outlet online?

Steve
www.stevekmccoy.com

4:40 PM  
Blogger Richard A. Bailey said...

I generally order from their website: www.overtherhine.com/catalog/order.html In reality, this means (for the most part) that you order from Paste: www.pastemusic.com/artist/10028 That's the best place to get them.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Steve McCoy said...

Hey, if you get the chance. In a comment list some of their older LPs in order of what you would recommend. Is the Good Dog Bad Dog re-release in 2000 the same as the original? And which of Detwilers would you get first?

12:41 PM  
Blogger Richard A. Bailey said...

Okay, Steve, here's my list of OTR suggestions:
1. Good Dog Bad Dog (Indie version--the re-release does not include "A Gospel Number" or "Jack's Valentine," which really rocks. But it does include "It's Never Quite What It Seems." But, if no luck with the indie, I'd still probably look for this one first, simply for "Poughkeepsie" and "Etcetera Whatever").
2. Since you have Ohio, I'll say Amateur Shortwave Radio, which includes a version of "Jack's Valentine."
3. Films for Radio
4. Changes Come Live (I guess it's still available)
5. The Darkest Night of the Year (a Xmas album of sorts)
6. The Cutting Room Floor
7. Eve
8. Patience
9. Till We Have Faces
10. Besides

After the first two or so, though, I'd just get them any way you can. I'd also suggest checking this song out from the website. It's a lot of fun. overtherhine.com/music/mp3rarity/index.html

As for Linford's stuff, I really have never listened to one album all the way through to the end. Instead, they shuffle on the iPod. You won't go wrong regardless of the order in which you grab those. Simply beautiful music.

Next time they are in Chicago, perhaps you, Ben Mitchell, and I can catch a show. Because as good as they are on cd, live is another realm entirely.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home