<$BlogMetaData$>
Etcetera Whatever

Friday, May 13, 2005

a plea for grace

i came upon this prayer this morning and considered it a wonderful way to begin the day. perhaps you will as well.


"BUT, O God, who knowest the weakness and corruption of our nature, and the manifold temptations which we daily meet with; We humbly beseech thee to have compassion on our infirmities, and to give us the constant assistance of thy Holy Spirit; that we may be effectually restrained from sin, and excited to our duty. Imprint upon our hearts such a dread of thy judgments, and such a grateful sense of thy goodness to us, as may make us both afraid and ashamed to offend thee. And, above all, keep in our minds a lively remembrance of that great day, in, which we must give a strict account of our thoughts, words, and actions; and according to the works done in the body, be eternally rewarded or punished, by him whom thou hast appointed the Judge of quick and dead, thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."
(1789 book of common prayer)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful prayer...I love the combination of deep theology and very heart-felt passion for Christ here. Hey Richard, if you remember me, I'm the guy commenting on Justin Taylor's blog on Jonathan Edwards...I'd love to communicate further with you about Edwards in future. I have made it a priority in my life to study JE for last 3-4 years, and currently I teach a couple of classes on "Religious Affections" and "The End For Which God Created The World" in the TBI program at Bethlehem Baptist. My email is pburg@hotmail.com; feel free to email me whenever you want. Grace and peace in the Lord Jesus!

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home