<$BlogMetaData$>
Etcetera Whatever

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Louisville's Greatest Institutions

As I sat here this morning working on chapter four of the dissertation, I looked down and noticed that on my little desk sat artifacts from two of Louisville's greatest institutions--cultural, religious, social, historical, or otherwise. Sure, Louisville is home to a great orchestra, a pretty decent racetrack for horses, a rather reputable university with a presentable basketball team and mediocre coach, two celebrated and historic theological seminaries, a boxer who shook up the world, and a big baseball bat. But, arguably, Louisville's most significant offerings for society are on display in the following photo. Whenever Leanne and I leave Louisville, we will likely miss these two institutions most.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could leave the "Belle of Louisville" off that list? :)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Richard A. Bailey said...

Joe, you mean that little boat that someone tried to sink several years ago? I thought about including it, but really figured people outside of Louisville and the Derby Festival wouldn't have the foggiest (or steamiest given it's power supply) idea what I was talking about. But even if we include the Belle, my vote for the city's two significant institutions remains the same. I can do without a steamboat, but coffee, scotch eggs, fish and chips, a pint? That's another story entirely.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. But now the real question. Which could you live without? Dubs & Whitts, or Heine & Rover?

2:33 PM  
Blogger Richard A. Bailey said...

Easy. I already live "without" Dubs & Whitts. Plus, if I ate the two of them on a regular basis, well,, I probably wouldn't make it for too long since they certainly are more hazardous to my long-term existence than Heine and the Rover. So, I choose life.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home